Engineering Meeting Details
- Tuesday 2013-12-03 - 11:00 am Pacific Standard Time
- Dial-in: Audio-only conference# 98411
- People with Mozilla phones or softphones please dial x4000 Conf# 98411
- US/Toll-free: +1 800 707 2533, (pin 4000) Conf# 98411
- US/California/Mountain View: +1 650 903 0800, x4000 Conf# 98411
- US/California/San Francisco: +1 415 762 5700, x4000 Conf# 98411
- US/Oregon/Portland: +1 971 544 8000, x4000 Conf# 98411
- CA/British Columbia/Vancouver: +1 778 785 1540, x4000 Conf# 98411
- CA/Ontario/Toronto: +1 416 848 3114, x4000 Conf# 98411
- UK/London: +44 (0)207 855 3000, x4000 Conf# 98411
- FR/Paris: +33 1 84 88 37 37, x4000 Conf# 98411
- Gmail Chat (requires Flash and the Google Talk plugin): paste +1 650 903 0800 into the Gmail Chat box that doesn't look like it accepts phone numbers
- SkypeOut is free if you use the 800 number
- Engineering Vidyo Room / Air Mozilla / MTV Warp Core / TOR Finch / SFO Warfield / PDX Widmer
- join irc.mozilla.org #planning for back channel
- 1 Actions
- 2 Hot Bugs
- 3 The Need To Know
- 4 Key Issues
- 5 Team Stand-ups
- 5.1 Accessibility (dbolter)
- 5.2 Add-on SDK (dtownsend)
- 5.3 App Tools (dtownsend)
- 5.4 B2G Services (dougt)
- 5.5 Developer Tools (robcee)
- 5.6 DOM (jst/dougt)
- 5.7 Firefox Desktop (gavin)
- 5.8 Firefox Metro (bbondy/jmathies/mbrubeck)
- 5.9 Firefox Mobile (mfinkle/blassey)
- 5.10 Firefox OS Communications (scravag)
- 5.11 Firefox OS Devices/Porting/Bluetooth (mchen)
- 5.12 Firefox OS Media Apps (hema)
- 5.13 Firefox OS Media Recording (cjku)
- 5.14 Firefox OS Performance (mlee)
- 5.15 Firefox OS Productivity (doliver)
- 5.16 Firefox OS Telephony/WIFI/NFC (kenhkchang)
- 5.17 Firefox OS Systems - Front End (gwagner)
- 5.18 Firefox OS Systems - Platform (timdream)
- 5.19 GFX (milan)
- 5.20 Identity (jedp)
- 5.21 JS (naveed)
- 5.22 Layout (jet/dbaron)
- 5.23 Media (mreavy)
- 5.24 Necko (dougt/jduell)
- 5.25 Performance (vladan)
- 5.26 Seceng (mmc)
- 5.27 WebAPI (overholt)
- 5.28 Shumway (mbx)
- 6 Quality Programs
- 7 Roundtable
- 8 <Read only beyond this point>
(Important bugs for which we need to find owners or additional help. If known, please include suggested team or knowledge needed to advance the bug.)
- Orange Factor
The Need To Know
(Release and system issues that may impact engineering this week.)
- FF 26.0b10 built and shipping this afternoon (PST)
- FF 26.0 RC built and with QA
- ESR 24.2 going to build tomorrow, ESR 17.0.11 will auto-update to ESR 24.2
- reminder about the 2 week push out - see https://wiki.mozilla.org/RapidRelease/Calendar for 2014 release dates
|Next Merge: May 30, 2022||Next Release: May 31, 2022|
|Central: 102||Aurora: 54||Beta: 101||Release:|
|Unresolved Aurora 54 Trackers (non-security, not tracked for Beta)||Unresolved Beta 101 Trackers (non-security)|
Build Changes (gps)
(Build changes of which engineers should be aware.)
(System outages/upgrades and tree closures that impact engineering.)
(Non team specific issues that impact engineering.)
- Last week we stopped running 10.7 tests and we re-purposed those machines as 10.6
- Next week we will be killing builds and tests for esr17
- Infra is running on Ash to continue graydon's work to push Android 2.3 testing to emulators/EC2
- bug 936601 for details
(In <2 mins, what did your team accomplish last week, on what is your team working on this week, and on what, if anything, is your team blocked? No questions during the stand-ups. All questions should be asked during the roundtable.)
- no update
Add-on SDK (dtownsend)
App Tools (dtownsend)
B2G Services (dougt)
Developer Tools (robcee)
- Jryans landed the Browser Toolbox bug 912057
- Variable Inspection Popup in the Debugger bug 725235
- Split Console (use ESC key in any toolbox tab) bug 892195
Contributions from community members:
- Autocomplete via the Debug protocol bug 842682
- Shows suggestions from the current debugger frame if paused.
Firefox Desktop (gavin)
- Australis reminder: This Nightly->Aurora merge is special. We'll be merging Holly to Aurora, rather than mozilla-central. Holly is mozilla-central minus Australis.
Firefox Metro (bbondy/jmathies/mbrubeck)
- Desktop/Metro browser profile sharing landed in Monday's nightly. Please file any bugs you find against tracking bug 924860.
- We're still planning on rolling out with fx28, with continued polish work on Aurora after next week's merge.
- B2G landings recently broke apzc scroll and zoom and no tests picked this up. We're working on getting some front end apzc tests going to prevent this in the future.
- General APZC work continues, tracked by bug metro-apzc.
Firefox Mobile (mfinkle/blassey)
- Browsing is busted in nightly bug 945723 initial backouts for what we thought were the offending patches in bug 936756 did not fix the problem which isn't too surprising since we were super careful with the landing. Looks like something larger might be happening given bug 945750
- bug 709230 - (Proguard) Use ProGuard to shrink and optimize Fennec's Java .class files. Landed in Fx28 and is activated. Documentation should be available soon.
- Fixed in Fx28 bug 943742 - Swiping closed non-selected tabs from tray leaves TabCounter incorrect in current screen
- We are looking into how much of a regression this is bug 944429 Talos regressions tp4 7% on Android 4.0.4, SVG-ASAP 400% on Android 4.0.4, 500% on Android 2.2, on Nov 27.
Firefox OS Communications (scravag)
- koi+ status has reached zarro bugs
- Comms workweek, DSDS: The workweek took place in Taipei last week. The team demoed
- calling via either of the SIMs
- receiving calls via either of the SIMs
- sending messages via both SIMs
- receiving messages via both SIMs
There was a small issue with data and this is being worked on and should be ready this week. We are looking good for the reduced set of features we wanted to land in v1.3. Now onwards and upwards to close DSDS off with v1.4 - plus any bugs raised on v1.3.
Firefox OS Devices/Porting/Bluetooth (mchen)
- V1.3 - Bluedroid bug 876583:
- [Landed] To support the selection of BlueZ & Bluedroid backend from build system
- [Landed] HFP & A2DP & AVRCP V1.3
- [Landed] Support GetConnectedDevice API
- [WIP] To implement OPP
- V1.2: Cowork with QA to verify compatibility issue by PTS. bug 939706
- Bugs: bug 942088, bug 941584, bug 941574, bug 939669, bug 940271, bug 932543, bug 942104, bug 942712, bug 921991, bug 932543
- V1.3 - Bluedroid bug 876583:
- V1.3 - SD Card Format bug 921105.
- [Landed] To support SD Card format in Gecko.
- Media Playback:
- Device Porting
- To study the difference between Android JB & Kitkat.
Firefox OS Media Apps (hema)
- Worked on analysis and fix for bugs: 935273, 943594, 943257, 943797, 939325, 909542, 932669, 938967, 924170, 911108, 903920, 936405, 936419, 936397
- Incorporating vis dev feedback and wrapping up target gallery 1.3 features https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=891030 and https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=925216
Firefox OS Media Recording (cjku)
- bug 898949 - [B2G getUserMedia] Display front/back camera list on permission prompt
- bug 936981 - Build up MediaEncoder GTest framework
- bug 879668 - [MediaEncoder] Implement VideoOmxEncoder on B2G
- bug 920921 - [Flatfish]: Flatfish has bad performance on Homescreen wiping
Firefox OS Performance (mlee)
Last 2 Sprints
- Sprint ended 11.22
- 1.2 blockers: scrolling & memory
- Sprint ended 11.08
- 1.2 blockers: launch latency & memory
- Ends 12.06
- Power Usage Tracking
- 1.3 Cold Launch regressions: bug 943594, bug 942893
- Implementing will-animate CSS property in Gaia apps to improve scrolling: parent bug 942333
Firefox OS Productivity (doliver)
- Streaming email send landed: https://bugzil.la/871897
- POP3 edge case cleanup landing
- We have a couple of 1.3 blockers but overall status is green
- Drawer for email/calendar still in progress: https://bugzil.la/940132 & https://bugzil.la/940512
- Next/Previous email navigation still in progress: https://bugzil.la/918303
Firefox OS Telephony/WIFI/NFC (kenhkchang)
- Last week
- RTSP Client, to add suspend and resume functions and to support rtsp protocol in url bar.
- NFC, to add test cases.
- EAP-SIM, to co-work with partner to fix EAP-SIM problem.
- Multi-SIM, to land all DSDS implementations into Gecko.
- WPA-EAP, to add interface for WPA-EAP.
- WIFI-Direct, to fix synchronization problem.
- Power metering, to implement PowerStats API.
- Network metering, to add metering function for system.
- This week
- RTSP Client, to add seek function.
- NFC, to add test cases.
- EAP-SIM, to co-work with partner to fix EAP-SIM problem.
- LTE, to know what we need to add for LTE.
- WPA-EAP, to import Cert by WifiManager.
- WIFI-Direct, to support multi-connection function.
- Power metering, to implement PowerStats API.
- Network metering, to obtain system metrics and power profile.
Firefox OS Systems - Front End (gwagner)
- Moving Browser app into system: Bug 945259. (1.4)
- We introduced a new Browser2 icon.
- Download Manager landing this week: Bug 926955.
- DSDS: Finishing FTU update
Firefox OS Systems - Platform (timdream)
- DSDS: v1.3 features to be completed this week. SIM card features is working on tests. There were some behavior difference on the chipset level need to be workaround.
- NFC: Shirking UI landed. People is working on the BT part. Probably will not reach v1.3.
- Tablet: Wrapping up work. Gallery and Video patches need to reconsider whether or not to land (and their maintenance etc.) need further discussion. (note: a short discussion after the meeting concluded that we should land what's already done.)
- 3rd-party keyboard support: Need to resolve one bug to make keyboard OOM recoverable. Keyboard manager flow to be discussed this week. Will discuss with QA on whether or not to reach v1.3. Some discussion on keyboard v.s. overlay.
- WIFI-EAP: EAP-SIM, Gaia/Gecko landed this week, chip vendor to resolve their own problem. PEAP, TLS, TTLS: Gaia patch in review. Sec-reviewed this week.
- Format SD Card: Patch in review.
- CDMA: Two bugs on wasabi device is being worked on.
- Window management: bug 907103 is being worked on. Will land after v1.3 branch since overall Haida work has moved to v1.4). Discuss with UX on haida UX this week.
- Build script: Homescreen customization landed this week. Working on muitlocale.py and install-gaia.py.
- getUserMedia: in review.
- Lock screen: the canvas implementation have landed on master, some detail is being follow-up now. Need Comms to work on their call screen.
- enabling async pan zoom on all Gaia apps
- working on HD device (including Flatfish) performance
- some residual Australis issues
- ramping up MozSurface work
- "merging" the graphics plans between the two graphics (Taipei and not-Taipei) teams
- SF work-week for Firefox Accounts on b2g and web
- Compiler (JIT)
- bug 917996: Make sure encoding of LazyScripts are effectively working and that they are not de-lazified before.
- bug 935999: Fix Ion addprop stub to support type checks (~20% win on Octane-TypeScript on AWFY)
- bug 943327: Fix GVN to not store an instruction's value number if we don't need it (~20% win on Octane-Mandreel on AWFY, fixes the regression we had for the most part).
- bug 609296: Make accessing properties (like toString) on number/booleans fast.
- bug 939816: Support inlining functions with throw statements.
- Garbage Collection
- Front End and Other
- bug 911578: Implemented IsPackedArray self-hosting intrinsic and used it to speed up Array#indexOf and #lastIndexOf
- Compiler (JIT)
- CSS Grid implementation starting
- CSS Variables in code review (bug 773296)
- CSS scroll snapping implementation starting (bug 945584)
- Starting support for fragmented MP4 in MSE for Windows Vista, 7 and 8 by landing bug 886196
- TURN TCP support in WebRTC will be landing soon (bug 906968)
- no update this week, other than trying to knock off Q4 goals and a few blockers.
Update next week
- EV testing now on xpcshell (Bug 927016).
- will hopefully have SharedWorker enabled on nightly/aurora/b2g some time soon (bug 924089)
- bent and baku working towards async IDB in workers by end of year (will be very tight)
- janv has started on getting localStorage into the quota system
- nsm (and jdm, a bit) working on Service Workers
- TPAC feedback from Microsoft and Apple was positive but they'd like to see performance numbers before committing to an implementation
- Gene and Fernando taking over Network Information API (ex. "am I on wifi or a mobile connection?" ... cost harder to do)
- with Intel, W3C SysApps WG has de-emphasized Telephony spec
- Marcos working on study for installable web apps. Draft: http://w3c-webmob.github.io/installable-webapps/
- new WebAPI meeting time: alternating 8 AM Pacific (as now), 4 PM Pacific (starting tomorrow)
- We are working on getting the add-on bundled into Firefox Android with easier about:config UI for testers to enable by default bug 905668
- Thx for the progress on bug 886196 - Support fragmented MP4 segments and bug 709490 - Run WebGL on Web Worker with Off-Main-Thread-Compositing
- Will be of interest if/when available: bug 944929 - (jsplugins-oop) Run plugins written in JS out of process
(An opportunity to hear about status with the various quality programs that do not have a formal team structure.)
DMD now works on Windows, thanks to Catalin Iacob!
Some progress on follow-ups for tree closures caused by Windows OOMs:
- Some wasteful use of virtual memory in the JS engine was fixed, thanks to dmajor.
- Improved shutdown leak detection landed, thanks to ttaubert.
- Memory consumption graphs are now available for mochitest runs, thanks to shu. View and compare runs at http://people.mozilla.org/~sguo/mochimem/viewer.html.
- The vsize-max-contiguous measurement is now present in about:memory and telemetry.
Also, web workers now use less memory, which saves 112KB per worker on 32-bit machines.
- Past week's OrangeFactor: 5.77 (Previous Week: 9.72).
- Trying to bisect some recent failures. PLEASE reply to the bug if pinged.
- 17 intermittent failures fixed in the last week - List - Thanks!.
- Overall numbers look good on all products and channels.
- Starting with the latest beta, we are successfully reserving memory for Breakpad to use, so more OOM crashes should get minidumps.
(Comments and questions that arise during the course of the meeting or otherwise do not have a section.)
<Read only beyond this point>
Friends of the Tree
There were great changes by volunteers in Core and Toolkit during the past week. Thanks to all of these contributors for their passion and hard work! Here are some highlights:
- Tom Schuster (evilpies) fixed an IonMonkey problem (bug 940642).
- [first patch!] Andreas Pehrson (pehrsons) futzed with some GL texture code (bug 943293, bug 907292).
- Joshua Cranmer (jcranmer) converted users of JS_ATOMIC to mozilla::Atomic (bug 884676).
- Neil Rashbrook (NeilAway) fixed a smorgasbord of platform bugs (bug 892638, bug 936933, bug 943804).
- Doug Crosher (dougc) improved IonMonkey (bug 928350).
- Kevin Simons (kevsim) fixed a logic error when using Skia (bug 944412).
- James Kitchener (jkitch) improved MathML support (bug 114365, bug 518592).
- iseki.m.aa improved Array.prototype.slice performance (bug 928917)
- [first patch!] Sumit Agrawal (sumit4iit) added a new safe file output stream variant (bug 928321).
- Jacek Caban investigated MinGW builds mixing wchar_t and char16_t (bug 928351, bug 944900).
- Catalin Iacob added DMD support for Windows (bug 819839, bug 940218, bug 944438).
- Ms2ger made a bunch of build improvements (bug 885878, bug 924523, bug 925887, bug 935362, bug 937224, bug 937258, bug 939271, bug 939518, bug 939522).
- Dan Gohman (sunfish) improved SpiderMonkey in countless ways (bug 941877, bug 942236, bug 942258, bug 943425, bug 943429, bug 943436, bug 943449, bug 944963).
- Max Li (maxli) improved B2G accessibility tests (bug 933808).
- David Zbarsky (dzbarsky) futzed with graphics compositing code (bug 895116).
- Xidorn Quan added support for East Asian CSS3 counter styles (bug 934072).
- [first patch!]Ajitesh Gupta removed an unused pref (bug 917047).
- Michael (Earth4) fixed a content crash (bug 942979).
- Jan Gerber added Opus support to WebM (bug 938686).
- Birunthan Mohanathas (poiru) changed some SVG code (bug 653571, bug 943446).
Mailing List Threads
(Threads that are likely to be of interest to engineering from various mailing lists.)
(Links to blog posts, books, videos, etc. that you think will be of interest to others.)
irc #planning Log From This Meeting
[2:03pm] lmandel: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Platform/2013-12-03 [2:04pm] KaiRo: lmandel: I have a one-sentence update for Stability [2:04pm] lmandel: KaiRo: OK. Thanks. [2:06pm] elan: lmandel: I tagged shumway update as read only [2:06pm] lmandel: elan: k [2:06pm] elan: if mbx decides to speak to it, that will be a happy surprise [2:07pm] dveditz: mbrubeck: I noticed that change.... very happy to see it [2:08pm] lmandel: RyanVM|sheriffduty: Audible today? [2:08pm] RyanVM|sheriffduty: lmandel: no [2:09pm] mbrubeck: Jumping on the Browser Toolbox bandwagon, we also have shiny new docs for using remote debugging to debug/inspect Metro Firefox: https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Tools/Remote_Debugging/Firefox_for_Metro [2:10pm] elan: and we need to work on making the shumway update more extensive but this week is a small first step [2:11pm] catlee: gavin: how many users to we have on holly nihglites? [2:11pm] catlee: nightlies [2:11pm] joduinn-mtg: gavin: followup about australis... can you make sure to loop hwine into the convo? he's on the hook for the migration with RelEng [2:12pm] gavin: joduinn-mtg: will do [2:12pm] • joduinn-mtg tips hat to gavin [2:12pm] gavin: catlee: I think you're probably in a better position to tell me? [2:12pm] gavin: I don't know [2:13pm] mbrubeck: gavin, catlee: The nightly-holly channel had 51 ADI yesterday [2:13pm] dveditz: gavin: is there any UI changes planned for the menus that slide into the customize panel? I like the Australis look over all, but that slidy menu thing is kinda ugly. Especially where it leaves part of the panel showing on the edge (looks like a mistake) [2:13pm] mbrubeck: laura: Sorry! Yes, you just missed the Platform meeting, if that's what you were asking [2:14pm] laura: no worries, I was absorbed in jcook's presentation [2:14pm] laura: and only realized the time when he finished [2:14pm] laura: thanks mbrubeck [2:14pm] mbrubeck: gavin, catlee: That's an increase of 5000% from last Wednesday, when it had 1 ADI! [2:15pm] catlee: we'll beat chrome in no time! [2:15pm] catlee: I'm a bit worried about shipping relatively untested builds to aurora users then [2:16pm] mschifer: we have been running automation on holly [2:16pm] gavin: dveditz: not sure what you're referring to - I see https://cloudup.com/c4GoZ7t9egv [2:16pm] mbrubeck: If we keep growing by 5000% every 5 days, then in another month we will have about 800 billion users on holly [2:17pm] gavin: dveditz: the "cut off icon on the left" styling is intentional - shows you how to get back to the normal panel [2:17pm] dveditz: gavin: exactly! notice the buttons half peeking on the left? looks like a mistake [2:18pm] gavin: it's a spatial orientation kind of thingy [2:18pm] dveditz: also felt a little odd to press the help button on the left of the panel and have the menu show up on the right [2:18pm] jesup: I think we missed a new contributor (first patch) in Friends of the Tree: Adrian Cruceru (email@example.com), bug 876876 which landed 11/22-23. [2:18pm] firebot: Bug https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=876876 cri, --, mozilla28, cruceru.adrian, VERI FIXED, crash in webrtc::videocapturemodule::DeviceInfoDS::GetDeviceInfo [2:18pm] dveditz: gavin: I get that it's intentional... I'm just saying it doesn't really work for me (one isolated anecdotal data point, from an otherwise Australis fan not a hater) [2:19pm] gavin: ok! [2:19pm] dveditz: just throw it in the bucket of feedback for later [2:19pm] dveditz: and see if more like it pile up or I'm an outlier [2:19pm] mbrubeck: Maybe if the "peeking" part on the left were faded somewhat it would look more intentional. [2:20pm] gavin: shorlander: ^ [2:25pm] mbrubeck: (or dimmed?) [2:26pm] shorlander: mbrubeck: History in the panel here might be more inline with what you are talking about: http://people.mozilla.org/~shorlander/mockups-interactive/australis-interactive-mockups/windows8.html [2:26pm] shorlander: gavin, dveditz: thanks!