- 1 Minutes
- 1.1 Webcompat - Testing progress (Sergiu)
- 1.2 Webcompat - Some websites are running slow (Sergiu)
- 1.3 Webcompat.com - Can we identify a bug reported by SoftVision in the description? (adam_s)
- 1.4 Follow up on Manager work week / re-org (miketaylr)
- 1.5 Outreachy PR's / issues (ola)
- 1.6 Needs decision (ola)
- 1.7 Weird APIs? (miketaylr)
- 1.8 Webcompat.com Web-bugs Update (adam_s)
- 2 Broken Voices of the Web
- 3 Web Compatibility Progress
- This week: Adam
- next week: Dennis
Webcompat - Testing progress (Sergiu)
- karl: Thanks for the text update on the mailing-list. Very useful.
- mike: has db problems
Webcompat - Some websites are running slow (Sergiu)
What is the criteria to determine slow on a Web site? And is it worth reporting?
- Sergiu: Should we file webcompat bugs for the slow-running websites (eg. www.weather.com )?
- karl: Only if they are like super fast in Chrome and/or Safari. There are many slow sites for different types of reasons. Heavy in resources, bad JS which is CPU intensive. Also slow can be a matter of context. For example, a site fast on WIFI but slow on mobile. A site slow in isolated region, but very fast in the middle of Seoul.
- Sergiu: yahoo.com example of perf issue
- mike: Usually we don't consider performances a a webcompat issues. We might want to report them directly to bugzilla. But I'll ask first internally with Mozilla engineer.
- Sergiu: if a website has a portion that is mobile and part is desktop?
- mike: we tend not to focus on these as it's a choice by the company, if it's the same in all browsers
Webcompat.com - Can we identify a bug reported by SoftVision in the description? (adam_s)
It would be good for reporting to be able to exclude SoftVision reports for certain metrics. An example is percentage of valid vs. invalid reports, SoftVision reports will skew that metric by being valid most of the time.
- Sergiu: I think this is the info you seek: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Compatibility/Mobile_Testing_Surveys#Bug_identifier
- adam_s: Thanks! Somehow I missed that? :)
- karl: There is also the nickname of sergiu on most (all?) reported bugs.
Follow up on Manager work week / re-org (miketaylr)
Sharing a few things I learned, how it will affect our work (probably not much).
- mike: Platform is no more, long live Firefox. Four teams: Runtime, Visuals, Product integrity, Ops
- mike: does webcompat fit into visuals? (where we currently are) seems like there's some flexibility
- mike: We could also fit into product integrity possibly.
- mike: Leadership is still enthusiastic about gecko / quantum
Outreachy PR's / issues (ola)
In the Outreachy context, I'd like to make you all aware to just +1 issue / pr requests, if you know this person is not working on more than one other issue. It seems to get a little bit messy right now and I am having a hard time to keep up with it as well as mentoring some of them through private messages. (Will say a few more words to it later). Thanks <3
- ola: encourage contributors to complete previous tasks before encouraging them to take a new bug/pr
- mike: applications for Outreachy are due on March 30th, this should slow down a bit
- karl: this is good advice from Ola. Good first bugs sometimes still need a decent knowledge of the language.
- karl: maybe we should mark the requirements on the bug - python, JS etc.
- tom: labels would be helpful for this
- mike: as part of Outreachy they are required to make a contribution, would be good to make it clear what the requirements are for each bug
- ola: there are two types of good first bugs: tiny bugs but help you get setup with the project and starter bugs
- ola: did anyone get private messages from Outreachy applicants?
- mike: some. people aren't always comfortable having conversations in the public
- karl: none this round but in the past yes
- dennis: one ping due to time zones and others being away
Needs decision (ola)
Please check the issue on webcompat dev that needs decisions. Thanks!
Weird APIs? (miketaylr)
Random question -- what are the weirdest browser APIs?
- mike: was assigned this topic, more dom/js stuff
- karl: as in the implementation is weird or the use case is odd
- mike: both I think Template:I missed a bunch, please add
- tom: indexdb
- dennis: canvas, webgl
- ola: webrtc
- tom: touch and pointer
Webcompat.com Web-bugs Update (adam_s)
Total: 113 Valid: 37 Needsinfo: 1 Incomplete: 19 Worksforme: 24 Invalid: 10 Duplicate: 41 Wontfix: 0 Non-compat: 6
- adam: Non-verbal!
- adam: I'll add a comment, the last 3 weeks we've had a consistent amount of bugs, around ~110. Seems to be a steady state. https://cloudup.com/c3i25xLeZ1g
Broken Voices of the Web
Web Compatibility Progress
FIXED (no DUPLICATE)
- 2017-03-21 Desktop Firefox stops loading older postings on Facebook-sites' "Posts to Page" (element nesting limit reached due to bug) FIXED
- 2017-03-22 Desktop Goodreads Facebook Login does not work WORKSFORME
- 2017-03-22 Desktop Unable to join WebEx meeting in Firefox Developer Edition FIXED
- 2017-03-22 Desktop Button to edit and reply does not work in Outlook Web Access (OWA) FIXED
- 2017-03-23 Mobile Can not move cursor by touch in Facebook's comment response field FIXED
- 2017-03-26 Desktop WhatsApp web is making browser unresponsive sometime WORKSFORME
- 2017-03-27 Desktop Netflix HTML5 player is not working (even with Media Source Extensions enabled) in Ubuntu/Linux FIXED
- 2017-03-28 Desktop calendar.yahoo.com doesn't send the right intermediate certificates FIXED