Meeting: Mobile Web Compatibility Weekly Agenda: https://etherpad.mozilla.org/webcompat Chair: Karl Scribe: Mike Regrets:
Topic: next meeting
Next meeting: The next meetings will be on
- December 16, 2013
- December 23, 2013 [CANCELED FOR HOLIDAYS]
- December 30, 2013 [CANCELED FOR HOLIDAYS]
- January 6, 2014
(Dec 20 to January 1: Holidays)
Topic: webcompat (miketaylr)
We need to figure out what we want of webcompat. See discussions on https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/mozilla.compatibility/GInAPHmsv84
- karl: Is this something that would be good to do during a work week? (not sure how it is supposed to be organized at Mozilla)
- miketaylr: Brad brought up the topic with me a few weeks ago. We have webcompat.com, and we have useful content on the wiki. We asked for design resources. It looks like there is a volunteer Alexa who would like to understand what it is about. There is a thread about it.
- karl: This kind of planning is usually very good to do during a work week or similar. It can be a very physical type of work with blackboards, etc. Either way we should have dedicated meetings either online or in person for this kind of work.
- karl: Right now we have arewecompatibleyet.com, the wiki, the compatibility list, planet.webcompat.com (and one more) as resources for information. So what's the goal?
- brad: I think it should be a repository for information on how to develop for all devices/cross-browser. Perhaps examples as well.
- lawrence: Focusing more on compatibility than targetted "how do I use CSS transitions"-type articles on MDN. Also tooling to diagnose your own site.
- brad: I was also thinking of common examples of things people do poorly around the web, e.g., -webkit-box. Common pitfalls types of things.
- karl: Microsoft had made some interesting web compatibilty tools, http://www.modern.ie/en-us/report. Apache 2 licensed.
- hallvord: Modern.ie is cool, but reocmmends a lot of IE-specific features.
- karl: Yes, but the code can be forked. We could make it more generic.
- mike: And perhaps an opportunity to work more closely with Microsoft.
- brad: call it modern.web
- karl: For the tooling part that Brad was talking about that could be a possibility. For documentation, I was thinking there are a few things that could be done like "top questions" you can ask yourself if you want to make your site compatible. Perhaps also webcompat.com could be an avenue where you can report issues. Or we can give recommendations on how to best report issues.
- lawrence: It would be cool to have a single form that you could select multiple browsers and submit bug reports to multiple vendors.
perhaps we could keep a copy of bug reports in addition to forwarding them along to vendors.
- hallvord: Opera users created an unofficial BTS to track bug reports, http://opera.r3m.co/bugs/
- miketaylr: ideas of documentation, articles (more structured), tooling (checker), bugtracker or form for Web compatibility issues pushing to other bug trackers, Web compatibility reports, … a lot of cool ideas. how do we move on?
- lawrence: We should probably pick some easy ones and get started with them. There was talk of a work week, is there interest?
- miketaylr: I'm in favor of it.
- lawrence: in February would be the earliest.
- brad: We can do it earlier, we don't need approval for such a small team. Perhaps early/mid February. Karl needs to find out about re-entry processes for Japan. We can pick this up as an agenda item in our first meeting in the new year.
- miketaylr: Alexa is proposing to help, so we should chime on the bugs.
Topic: Broken Voices of the Web
Check the Planet Web Compatibility for the community news. Here a few posts lately published.
- 2013-12-03 - Spelling, Forms and Browsers
- 2013-12-03 - The Wired.com gallery that never stopped reloading
- 2013-12-03 - For the love of all that's holy, please progressively enhance modal "download our app" dialogs
- 2013-12-04 - Future Fail and User Agent Sniffing
- 2013-12-05 - Google Image Search's image pile 1
Topic: Things which have been discussed
Topic: Web Compatibility Progress
FIXED (no DUPLICATE)
- petardas.com doesn't recognize B2G UA as mobile 2013-12-05 FIXED
- Fidelity.com serves B2G a basic HTML (fidelity.mobi) instead of a touch-friendly mobile optimized version 2013-12-07 INVALID
- ingdirect.es doesn't recognize B2G UA as mobile 2013-12-04 FIXED
- softonic.com doesn't recognize B2G UA as mobile 2013-12-07 WORKSFORME
- http://bancomer.com gives desktop site to B2G 2013-12-03 INVALID
- lepoint.fr returns desktop site for firefox OS 1.1 2013-12-06 FIXED
- jofogas.hu doesn't recognize B2G UA as mobile 2013-12-07 WORKSFORME
- http://ups.com gives the desktop site to B2G 2013-12-02
- HTML video playback for NeuLion video player [NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, UFCtv, Premier League, etc.] 2013-12-02
- groupon.com serves desktop sites to Firefox OS 2013-12-03
- map.baidu.com serves desktop content to Firefox OS 2013-12-03
- map.baidu.com serves a broken mobile site to Firefox Android 2013-12-03
- music.baidu.com serves desktop content to Firefox OS 2013-12-03
- tieba.baidu.com serves desktop content to Firefox OS 2013-12-03
- tieba.baidu.com serves simplified mobile content to Firefox Android 2013-12-03
- orange.fr serves desktop content to Firefox for Android and Firefox OS 2013-12-04
- Quora displays overlapping/cluttered formatting. 2013-12-04
- Google+ Buttons on menu page for e.me Google+ app have misaligned and improperly sized links 2013-12-04
- Google+ Menu button in Google Plus E.me webapp appears misaligned 2013-12-04
- Pinterest - Upload Your Photo menu contains non-photo options 2013-12-04
- Pinterest - No search function appears when tapping magnifying glass 2013-12-04
- Pinterest - Page for building feed is shown in Desktop instead of Mobile 2013-12-04
- Medium.com doesn't display comment callouts in Fennec 2013-12-05
- Pinterest - Extra title bar appears while logged in and scrolling down a list 2013-12-05
- Google Drive sends fennec into a infinite redirect loop upon sign-in 2013-12-08
(move the DONE action items below and add the string DONE and possibly link to the record)
- TODO-20130715-01: kdubost have a panorama of tools used by Web developers for testing. Write a post about it.
- TODO-20130805-02: hallvord to test in bulk if Web sites are still working with a device information into the UA string Firefox OS. (Bug 901039)
- TODO-20130819-01 kdubost to create a first workflow for Web Badges for the community with Carla Cassili
- TODO-20130826-01: kdubost to create an intro guide to be ready to participate to Web Compatibility effort.
- TODO-20130826-02: kdubost to create 101 on Web compatibility issues so Mozilla employes have handy materials to discuss with partners.
- TODO-20131111-01: kdubost to analyze and categorize the survey on UA detection.
- TODO-20131118-01: kdubost to write a series of posts on how to set-up a Web compatibility activity in your own organization, company.