Planning Meeting Details
- Wednesdays - 11:00am PDT, 18:00 UTC
- Mountain View Offices: Warp Core Conference Room
- Toronto Offices: Finch Conference Room
- irc.mozilla.org #planning for backchannel
- (the developer meeting takes place on Tuesdays)
Video/Teleconference Details - NEW
- 650-903-0800 or 650-215-1282 x92 Conf# 99696 (US/INTL)
- 1-800-707-2533 (pin 369) Conf# 99696 (US)
- Vidyo Room: ProductCoordination
- Vidyo Guest URL
- 1 Actions from Last Week
- 2 Schedule & Progress on Upcoming Releases
- 2.1 Basecamp
- 2.2 Firefox Desktop
- 2.3 Firefox Mobile
- 2.4 Services
- 2.5 Add-on SDK
- 2.6 Identity
- 2.7 Apps
- 3 Feedback Summary
- 4 User Experience (Design and Research)
- 5 Market Insights
- 6 Marketing, Press & Public Reaction
- 7 Questions, Comments, FYI
- 8 Actions this week
Actions from Last Week
- Blassey to confirm that we have a locked in plan of record for other localizations
- Plan: ship only native UI and mobile over-ridden strings in the mulilocale builds (all others will be en-US only) which allows us to ship many more locales (goal: all android supported locales). Non-en-US toolkit and platform strings will be downloaded in the background as needed.
- Matt and Benjamin to chase down details about how broad the latest adobe chemspill is (i.e. should we change our SUMO advice around 11.2, 10.3?)
- Current documentation is suggesting the latest 11.3 since it is known to be secure. Users experiencing issues are encouraged to try disabling protected mode rather than downgrading to a possibly insecure version of Flash.
- We still do not have solid data around 11.4 release of Flash. By end of week we hope to have enough data to either update our existing document or to make the decision not to push 11.4.
Schedule & Progress on Upcoming Releases
- Firefox 15 beta 6 is underway, should be going out to the beta channel late today, early tomorrow if QA sign off isn't ready yet
- Firefox 15 SignOffs meeting notes -- we are thumbs up for release
- Merge of mozilla-beta to mozilla-release will be on Friday 8/24
- Merge day (for all other channels) is on Monday 8/27
- FF15 Desktop & Mobile, FF 10.0.7ESR out the door at 8am on Tuesday 8/28
Release (14, 10esr)
- All major Social API features landed.
- Native PDF support targeting Firefox 17 or 18, no longer uplifting earlier for testing.
- Went through a quick "UX readiness" excerise to make sure things were good-to-go
- A change to the google search provider might cause some grief for l10n
- Gearing up for the WebApps testday on Friday
- Safe browsing has landed, UI to turn on has not
- Platform decoders (hardware and software decoding for h264 and friends) has landed of ICS and JB
- Fixes both in Gecko and on sites that have improved a number of sites recently: Lord of Ultima, alliances.commandandconquer.com, Yelp, Quora, Abril, IMDB, Urban Dictionary, Trip Advisor, ...
- H.264/AAC/MP3 support on Android is having a nice impact on sites such as Soundcloud
Apps In the Cloud Server
Release (1.9 -> Firefox 15, 16)
Stabilization (1.10 -> Firefox 16, 17)
Development (1.11 -> Firefox 17, 18)
- loader: ✓
- modules: bug 756542 ('Implement make files to include SDK modules in builds') landed yesterday.
- discussing next steps at the team work week next week.
FLAGS: the team is at a work week, therefore the weekly project meeting is cancelled and and audible update in this meeting is unlikely - I will update this wiki though.
- McAfee SecurityCenter update may cause loss of network connectivity. We've not seen any traffic yet, but are preparing to stay ahead of the issue 
- Flash 11.4 feedback is still too early to make any decisions. We are hoping to have a more definitive answer by end of week.
- Blocklist for old Versions of Silverlight on Mac went Live today. This fixes a top-crasher on Hotmail and potentially other issues. Bug 782672
User Experience (Design and Research)
- multiple plugin click-to-play UI getting implemented in bug 754472; design mockup and work-in-progress (Stephen)
- visual refresh explorations on our video controls are here (Stephen)
- starting a study on how people search in the Firefox (engines, search bar vs url bar, repeated searches, etc) (Ilana)
- Working with the SUMO team to use Test Pilot for getting feedback from Aurora users on new features (Ilana)
- Customization (Zhenshuo and Blake)
- prepping and running pilots for customization mode user-testing August 27 & 30, Sept. 4-7; test plan
- will be using a design prototype add-on, based on this interactive mockup https://people.mozilla.com/~bwinton/australis/customization/mac/
- goal is to make sure that people will understand what parts of the UI are customizable and how to do it
- firstrun/UI explanation - starting to think about how we will introduce Australis to new and updating users; extremely initial idea mockup here (Stephen)
- Customization (Zhenshuo and Blake)
- [dev tools] Working through iteration 2 of the dev tools framework from last week mockup here (Brian Dils)
- [Social API] (Boriss)
- Multiple large pieces landing this week: docked windows, flyover panels, etc. Watching for visual & interaction tweaks needed
- Finalizing strings for Firefox 17
- Speccing share features for Firefox 18 with Laura Forrest
- Working with flyover notification limitations on a workable solution for activated content
- [metro] (yuan)
- [sync/identity] Working on the revised sync setup proposal (zhenshuo)
- [WebRTC] (Boriss)
- Sketching, digitizing mockups for next phase of WebRTC in Firefox 18
- Updating wiki to reflect current requirements and spec of planned feature, soliciting feedback
- [project SPF (security and privacy)] (larissa)
- [android] (ibarlow)
- Fx15 (and early 16) UX Review List here: https://firefox-ux.etherpad.mozilla.org/24
- bug 774479 Google Play feedback solicitation, polishing copywriting and visuals (almost done!) -- overview diagram of the UI flow, without new awesome text
- bug 771380 Working with Lucas on favicon/lock layout (almost done!)
- Starting work on special browsing modes -- Private Browsing / Guest Mode / User Switching, and Safe Browsing
- Assembling list of responsiveness tweaks to start trying (building on last week's brainstorm session)
- Looking at making the Aurora / Nightly updater better
- Reviewing UX around web app testing
- [Firefox on B2G/Gaia] discussion about how video should play in the browser bug 762730 (Larissa)
Desktop / Platform
- Adobe made the second critical security fix release in a week for the Flash Player, fixing six important vulnerabilities.
- Google has announced Pwnium 2, another Chromium hacking competition. Held on October 10th in Kuala Lumpur, it will feature a total prize pool of $2m, with "full chrome exploits" receiving $60,000 each.
- Newer builds of Chromium now include CodeMirror as an editing tool, as an experiment, as well as the ability to use CSS Exclusions.
- Microsoft posted an interesting "behind the scenes" video about their new Windows Phone Dev Center.
- Opera has renewed their Google search engine agreement. It is effective for the next two years, expiring in August 2014.
Summary below, full update here and in your inbox.
- Smart updates reported on for the Google Play Store
- Galaxy Note 2 expected to be revealed soon in Berlin
- Jurors in the trial concerning IP on mobile devices between Samsung and Apple to begin deliberations
- Recent shipment data shows intense competition in the Android OEM space
- China now has more mobile internet users than desktop ones
- China remains top producer of mobile devices; Economist briefing on Huawei
- New announcements in the mobile payments market
Marketing, Press & Public Reaction
- Excited to bring the latest and greatest features to users next week. We've got solid Memory, Gaming, and Dev Tools news.
Comparing Firefox and Chrome on Android ... it's close but we win!
Questions, Comments, FYI
- (joduinn) expectations about updates for "eval" win8 builds?
- Meeting coordination volunteers for next week, 3 weeks hence?
Actions this week
- Asa/Cheng to coordinate on input, come back with clear plan on PDF.js
- Alex to organize a meeting around Metro update planning
- Asa/Sheila to run next week's meeting, and the meeting 3 weeks hence