Engineering Meeting Details
- Tuesday 2014-01-14 - 11:00 am Pacific Standard Time
- Dial-in: Audio-only conference# 98411
- People with Mozilla phones or softphones please dial x4000 Conf# 98411
- US/Toll-free: +1 800 707 2533, (pin 4000) Conf# 98411
- US/California/Mountain View: +1 650 903 0800, x4000 Conf# 98411
- US/California/San Francisco: +1 415 762 5700, x4000 Conf# 98411
- US/Oregon/Portland: +1 971 544 8000, x4000 Conf# 98411
- CA/British Columbia/Vancouver: +1 778 785 1540, x4000 Conf# 98411
- CA/Ontario/Toronto: +1 416 848 3114, x4000 Conf# 98411
- UK/London: +44 (0)207 855 3000, x4000 Conf# 98411
- FR/Paris: +33 1 84 88 37 37, x4000 Conf# 98411
- Gmail Chat (requires Flash and the Google Talk plugin): paste +1 650 903 0800 into the Gmail Chat box that doesn't look like it accepts phone numbers
- SkypeOut is free if you use the 800 number
- Engineering Vidyo Room / Air Mozilla / MTV Warp Core / TOR Finch / SFO Warfield / PDX Widmer
- join irc.mozilla.org #planning for back channel
- 1 Actions
- 2 Hot Bugs
- 3 The Need To Know
- 4 Team Stand-ups
- 4.1 Accessibility (dbolter)
- 4.2 Add-on SDK (dtownsend)
- 4.3 App Tools (dtownsend)
- 4.4 B2G Services (dougt)
- 4.5 Developer Tools (robcee)
- 4.6 DOM (jst/overholt)
- 4.7 Firefox Desktop (gavin)
- 4.8 Firefox Metro (bbondy/jmathies/mbrubeck)
- 4.9 Firefox Mobile (mfinkle/blassey)
- 4.10 Firefox OS Communications (scravag)
- 4.11 Firefox OS Devices/Porting/BT (mchen)
- 4.12 Firefox OS Media Apps (hema)
- 4.13 Firefox OS Media Recording (cjku)
- 4.14 Firefox OS Performance (mlee)
- 4.15 Firefox OS Productivity (doliver)
- 4.16 Firefox OS Telephony/WIFI/NFC (kenhkchang)
- 4.17 Firefox OS Systems - Front End (gwagner)
- 4.18 Firefox OS Systems - Platform (timdream)
- 4.19 GFX (milan)
- 4.20 Identity (jedp)
- 4.21 JS (naveed)
- 4.22 Layout (jet/dbaron)
- 4.23 Media (mreavy)
- 4.24 Necko (dougt/jduell)
- 4.25 Performance (vladan)
- 4.26 Seceng (grobinson)
- 4.27 Shumway (mbx)
- 4.28 WebAPI (overholt)
- 5 Quality Programs
- 6 Roundtable
- 7 <Read only beyond this point>
(Important bugs for which we need to find owners or additional help. If known, please include suggested team or knowledge needed to advance the bug.)
- Orange Factor
The Need To Know
(Release and system issues that may impact engineering this week.)
|Next Merge: May 30, 2022||Next Release: May 31, 2022|
|Central: 102||Aurora: 54||Beta: 101||Release:|
- FF27.0b5 for Desktop released last Friday
- FF27.0b6 for Desktop and Mobile have gone to build yesterday and is with QA
- Crash Bugs still tracking for Firefox 27 , please help get traction on resolving these
- FF27 Beta 8 will be going to build on Monday(1/20)[Federal Holiday in US] as scheduled
|Unresolved Aurora 54 Trackers (non-security, not tracked for Beta)||Unresolved Beta 101 Trackers (non-security)|
Build Changes (gps)
(Build changes of which engineers should be aware.)
(Repo, test, and other information for engineers from the release engineering team.)
(System outages/upgrades and tree closures that impact engineering.)
(In <2 mins, what did your team accomplish last week, on what is your team working on this week, and on what, if anything, is your team blocked? No questions during the stand-ups. All questions should be asked during the roundtable.)
- Sandboxing support: Design accessibility roadmap (tbsaunde)
- Land cleaner separation of internal and platform accessibility layers. (tbsaunde)
- Land basic UIA text navigation implementation (surkov)
- FFOS:GAIA (eeejay,marcoz,yzen)
- Make these core Gaia Apps accessible: dialer, contacts, sms, browser, marketplace
- Land initial screen reader user settings
- Design quick toggle for screen reader
- Add basic Gaia UI accessibility tests for lockscreen, homescreen, settings, and any app we touch from now on
Add-on SDK (dtownsend)
- Toolbar API has landed
- Docs migrated to MDN
- Work ongoing on native support for Jetpacks and NPM support
App Tools (dtownsend)
- libadb is getting closer to completion
B2G Services (dougt)
Developer Tools (robcee)
- Work beginning on JS Heap memory tooling
- Work beginning on Profiler for Web Pages
26 bugs fixed.
- * Q1 goals are up: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Platform/2014-Q1-Goals#DOM
Firefox Desktop (gavin)
Firefox Metro (bbondy/jmathies/mbrubeck)
- Rollout with fx28 still on schedule.
- Metro work week last week in Toronto (Thanks Toronto!)
- Major triage of all outstanding bugs
- Lots of potential features discussed. Priorities are most important. We'll likely have room for additional feature work during the year.
- 2014 priorities:
- Reader mode
- Firefox Health Report
- Text selection bug fixing
- Better tab management
- Private browsing
- e10s / Input thread separation work
- Add-on support
- Firefox Accounts
- Bookmark management
- Downloads management
Firefox Mobile (mfinkle/blassey)
- Nice perf improvement landed in nightly bug 952878 - LayerRenderer.drawBackground can be expensive during a pageload
- Good fix uplifted to beta, bug 953288 - jank when typing in the url bar
- Fun WIP: bug 917896 - Replace progress throbber with a progress bar
- New Sync happenings:
Firefox OS Communications (scravag)
- status 1.3?: 17
- status 1.3?: 27
- Qualcomm feedback on DSDS is good for the version 1.3
- 1.4 features are ready to be worked on starting next week.
Firefox OS Devices/Porting/BT (mchen)
- bug 943278 - (gonk-kk) kitkat Gonk Support (Android 4.4)
- Stage 1 (Delayed to this week):
- To enable GonkDisplay for KK version. (review+)
- To enable external repository for gonk-kk. (landed)
- To clear the build error from different components in Gecko including Wifi, BT, Graphic and jemalloc.
- Stage 1 (Delayed to this week):
- bug 892207 - [B2G] [BT APIs Tracking]: Make Bluetooth APIs available for 3rd party apps
- Bugs: bug 947102, bug 956409, bug 949930, bug 955961
- Blocked - There is no reference phone for V1.3 which used gonk-jb + blueZ.
- PTS Test: bug 953034, bug 953035, bug 953036, bug 953045
- bug 904177 - Apply asynchronous model into decoding architecture (using MediaCodec)
- bug 942078 - Video thumbnail generation rule (discussion via Web-API mail list)
- bug 932701 - Keep the priority & nice value of threads related to media playback to equal or higher then foreground app (study phase)
- To study MSE for implementing PlatformDecoderModule on FxOS platform.
- bug 948832 - About Service (have a demo)
- bug 908916 - Recognize unformatted SD card
- bug 948828 - Set a hard limit for the number background processes
Firefox OS Media Apps (hema)
- Primary focus is on 1.3 release related bug fixing and stabilization
- Planning features for the next release (1.4) -- some of the media team working on camera will be in Taipei next week for camera related discussions
- Landed camera app (gaia) refactoring work into master in preparation for upcoming features
Firefox OS Media Recording (cjku)
- Make sure MP4 clips we recorded are playback-able on most video players.
- Parallel EcmaScript: Trace Intel RiverTrail implementation.
- Profiler and LayerScope enhancement wireframe design
- bug 924692 - text selection support on B2G
Firefox OS Performance (mlee)
Firefox OS Productivity (doliver)
Firefox OS Telephony/WIFI/NFC (kenhkchang)
- To fix 1.3 bugs,
- RTSP Client, bug 951175 - [RTSP][V1.3] Disabling network on the hotspot will cause a system hang while FxOS is playing RTSP streaming.
- LTE, bug 959015 - B2G SMS: Support SMS over IMS.
- WPA-EAP, bug 917102 - Import Cert by WifiManager.
- WIFI-Display, bug 946110 - [B2G][WFD] Porting libstagefright_wfd to B2G.
- Power metering, bug 899596 - Get Wi-Fi link speed
- Network metering, bug 928289 - [Network Metering] Obtain network tethering statistics.
Firefox OS Systems - Front End (gwagner)
- No updates
Firefox OS Systems - Platform (timdream)
- 3rd-party keyboard support:
- lock screen: Another glitch for keyboard hiding is fixed in bug 875963; Build time config for default layout, bug 913782: WIP. Next: stabilization (bug query: http://mzl.la/1fteova) and marionetteJS test bug 947120 wait for reviewing. pref measurement on going bug 950562.
- Built-in keyboard update & dynamic touch target: no update
- Cursor management: no update
- Dual SIM Dual Standby: There are six DSDS 1.3 blockers. Three of them are gaia bugs. bug 944230. Airplane mode related works : bug 948847 (Reviewing), bug 945147, bug 946588, bug 938080. SimManager rename method bug 932729 (1.4?)
- EAP SIM: No updste. follow-up on 1.4(?): EAP SIM for Dual SIM bug 947280
- PEAP, TLS, TTLS WPA-EAP: no update
- Format SD Card: halt
- Media Transfer Protocol: waiting on UX spec.
- CDMA: No bugs for now
- NFC: Patches are being reviewed (bug?). Some issues with module pattern and testability. Would trying to solve some bugs reported by John (bug 959048, bug 959052)
- Gaia build script: macro for running build scripts on node.js was back outed and having a new pull request (meta bug 955988) and have a WIP pull request for pseudo localization
- window management: Working on some v1.3 bugs. http://bugzil.la/attention-window AttentionWindow work in progress, next: popup window rewrite
- System App Modularization: working on a draft plan (identifying modules)
- Gecko Profiler GUI For Task Tracer: no update this week
- Setting panel isolation: Settings2 document created. Make first settings2 integration test run and document the steps. Add 3 integration tests PR.
- Engineering mode: Simple camera app test
- Test coverage report: bug 957932 is being reviewed (add checkbox for running coverage test on test-agent web UI)
- Gaia Audio Channel Service: in discussion
- Async pan-zoom is on by default for apps in Firefox OS 1.3 (28 train), focusing on the remaining issues
- Landed last minute (large) feature for Firefox OS 1.3 - hardware composer fence support
- OMTC on the Mac, on by default, shipping, bug closed
- OMTC on Windows, discussing some performance regressions, hoping for a non-tiling solution
- Continuing the work on removing deprecated textures
- Continuing the Moz2D/Azure conversion
Sync Relaunch for Fx 29:
- Details: https://wiki.mozilla.org/User_Services/Sync/Relaunch
- Primary platform focus currently on UI for Desktop and Android MVPs
Firefox Accounts on FxOS:
- Monster gaia patch landed for Firefox Accounts in FTU, Settings (yay!)
- Next milestone: Support Wheres-My-Fox @ WDC (early February)
- FxA Wiki: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Identity/FirefoxAccounts
- Identity Roadmap: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Identity/Roadmap
- UX: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Identity/UX
- Compiler (JIT)
- Garbage Collection
- B2G Analysis build in progress. HIt's compiling the code we care about with gcc 4.8, finally.
- Front End and Other
- (bug 915336 (bug 949220 - Make object creation once again an atomic operation (in the JSAPI sense -- that is, if the object is created, it is returned -- no followup fallible operations before the object is exposed/returned)
- (bug 886193 - Landed function-relazification
- (bug 953013 - Changed Yarr and our integration of it to throw an exception instead of reporting a non-match if Yarr bails during interpretation
- CSS Grid prototype in progress, see https://github.com/SimonSapin/gecko-dev/tree/WIP-grid
- <input type=number/> enabled in Firefox, see https://jwatt.org/2013/12/11/input-type-number-coming-to-mozilla
- bug 955957 : Improved Firefox performance with large plain-text runs (eg. view-src and tbpl logs)
- bug 951009: Updated Graphite2 text engine
- bug 735577: Initial versions of Vertical Text logical direction API landed
- bug 947812: Improved performance for looking up font names on Windows
- bug 943249: firefox <iframe> scrollbar behavior now matches other user agents
- bug 956447: Adds Layout diagnostics to release builds (frame dumps)
- dmose and florian are starting to experiment with screen-sharing UI concepts for WebRTC in bug 923228. Note: security aspects still need to be hammered out, and also standardization work is still needed and being discussed in public-webrtc (w3.org list)
- The IETF rtcweb (WebRTC) working group held a straw poll over video codec selection. We will post the results and next steps here after they are published by the working group chairs.
- Working to enable mochitests on b2g-emulator, which is blocked on getting the virtual data connection up (bug 950317 - schien may be close to resolving it). This is critical to keeping the audio PeerConnection feature on in 1.3, and we'd appreciate anyone pinged for help on it to make it a priority.
- Favicons now load with the lowest network priority (bug 802573)
- consider setting low channel.priority if your code uses non-interactive network loads
- HTTP/2 draft 8/9 has now landed (preffed off) (bug 950768)
- Q1 goals are up https://wiki.mozilla.org/Platform/2014-Q1-Goals#Networking
- bug 959130: We're investigating a significant regression in session-restore times in Firefox 25+
- bug 956388: Helping measure and improve the animation for entering "Customization Mode" in Australis
- bug 948528: Investigated and fixed several causes of power usage spikes during browser idle
- Glandium build improvements & Shared compilation cache experiment
- Our winter intern, Viktor Stanchev, is working on extending the profiler & improving its UI
- You can now create your own custom Telemetry dashboards relevant to your project: http://jonasfj.dk/blog/2014/01/custom-telemetry-dashboards/
- Sample code for a custom dashboard: https://gist.github.com/jonasfj/8280124
- Please set expiration dates for you Telemetry histograms, we're collecting too much unneded data and it creates $$ + perf costs. See "expires_in_version" field in the documentation
- Note there's a bug in the SIMPLE_MEASURES_* histograms in the dashboard, it's getting fixed
- bug 945268 landed: CSP tests are running on multiprocess Gecko (B2G and e10s).
- bug 883975 landed: CSP 1.1 hash-source is now available behind security.csp.experimentalEnabled pref.
- bug 783047 landed to enable HTTPS for Safebrowsing (thanks, gcp!)
- added "Report Problems" button to the extension, clicking on which opens an issue reporting form. Resulting entries in, for now, rudimentary form can be seen here: http://shumway-issue-reporter.paas.allizom.org/list (also, PaaS is amazing!)
- good progress on factoring out all rendering-related functionality into a render backend that gets passed a list of renderable entries.
- implemented BitmapData.applyFilter/generateFilterRect
- progress on WebGL compositing
- start moving VM into a worker thread
- synchronize mp3 playback with timeline execution
- integrate WebGL compositing
- Q1 goals are up: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Platform/2014-Q1-Goals#WebAPI
(An opportunity to hear about status with the various quality programs that do not have a formal team structure.)
- Till Schneidereit implemented JS function relazification, which means that bytecode for JS functions that haven't been executed many times can be discarded. This saves about 2 MB of memory after loading a gmail tab.
- There was a bad memory reporting bug which caused some reporters' paths to be incorrect, leading to erroneous measurements in about:memory. This has been fixed and backported to Aurora and Beta. Happily, it didn't reach a release or any B2G repos.
- Jan-Ivar Bruaroey fixed a longstanding leak (ghost window) that occurred on sites using WebRTC.
- Past week's OrangeFactor: 11.12 (Previous Week: 7.51).
- Shutdown timeouts and frequent AWS issues are the majority, but still many ongoing failures outside the top 10.
- Big shout-out to Kyle Huey for finding the cause of the mochitest shutdown timeout spike and fixing multiple workers bugs to get it fixed.
- Still seeing a frequent shutdown hang on OSX 10.8 debug mochitest-4 that isn't workers-related. Help wanted.
- Many tests were disabled today due to ongoing failures and lack of activity in the bug. If any of these tests are important to you, please take a look at fixing them so they can be re-enabled.
- 12 intermittent failures fixed in the last week - List - Thanks!.
- Overall numbers look OK, but 27 betas are still worse than 26 was. We hope some crash fixes landing on 27 can help with that.
(Comments and questions that arise during the course of the meeting or otherwise do not have a section.)
<Read only beyond this point>
Friends of the Tree
There were great changes by volunteers in Core and Toolkit during the past week. Thanks to all of these contributors for their passion and hard work! Here are some highlights:
- Ali Ak fixed an Azure drawing problem (bug 958086).
- Arnaud Bienner fixed a color picker problem (bug 944737).
- Alessio Placitelli avoided an OOM crash (bug 950762).
- Craig MacKenzie (gentlefolk) corrected an unsafe weak pointer use (bug 952570).
- Neil Rashbrook made literal strings share buffers (bug 514173, bug 952087).
- Douglas Crosher (dougc) fixed a SpiderMonkey assertion (bug 951988).
- Masatoshi Kimura (emk) corrected missing zone markings on Windows (bug 892859, bug 950737, bug 952961, bug 956995).
- Peiyong Lin (lpy) avoided an OOM crash in safebrowsing (bug 943021).
- Guillaume Abadie (guillaume) fixed a WebGL bug (bug 958491).
- Rik Cabanier fixed a canvas focus ring error (bug 958232).
- Sumit Agrawal (sumit4iit) expanded the OS.File constants (bug 958354).
- Geoff Lankow (darktrojan) improved bootstrap addon shutdown (bug 953156).
- Christian Legnitto added corrections for common scheme typos (bug 935377).
- Robert Longson (longsonr) added text-shadow support to SVG (bug 889235).
- [first patch!] James Kolb improved the canvas drawImage implementation (bug 603488).
- Rick Eyre (reyre) implemented more of WebVTT (bug 949642, bug 949643, bug 950830).
- Max Li (maxli) fixed 10.9 bootstrap support (bug 935196).
- Alex Vincent (WeirdAl) ported some XULRunner infrastructure to python (bug 747597).
Mailing List Threads
(Threads that are likely to be of interest to engineering from various mailing lists.)
(Links to blog posts, books, videos, etc. that you think will be of interest to others.)
irc #planning Log From This Meeting
11:00 RyanVM|sheriffduty: lmandel: no hot bugs from me today, but I do have an audible at the bottom 11:00 RyanVM|sheriffduty: or is cpeterson in charge today? 11:00 cpeterson: RyanVM: I'm running the meeting today. lmandel is in Paris. 11:01 satdav: what meeting is that 11:01 satdav: cpeterson you got a link to the agenda or wiki 11:01 cpeterson: satdav: meeting wiki: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Platform/2014-01-14 11:02 satdav: thanks I will join in 11:04 cpeterson: satdav: can you see me in Warfield? my vidyo connection is reporting errors :( 11:04 KaiRo: cpeterson: no voice update from me for stability, esp. as bajaj is already telling the story on the 27 crash rates 11:04 milan: cpteterson: yup, we can see you 11:04 milan: cpeterson: try again, yes, we can see you :) 11:05 satdav: dougt you joining today 11:05 jduell: Quiet meeting: looks like most of our work is done :) 11:07 satdav: true its very quiet 11:10 satdav: can we get a update on 64 bit builds as we are getting asked a lot for it now for windows firefox 11:18 vlad: someone was asking about win64 support? 11:19 RyanVM|sheriffduty: satdav ^ 11:20 satdav: vlad it was me 11:20 satdav: I am getting asked by fellow contributors 11:21 satdav: I am seeing a request for it again on windows 11:21 vlad: yup, it's in progress 11:21 vlad: no ETA though 11:21 satdav: thanks vlad 11:22 satdav: vlad can you do a post on blog.mozilla.org or make it official on the monday meeting 11:22 vlad: no 11:22 vlad: :) 11:22 vlad: it is not that public-official yet, it's something we're working on 11:23 satdav: oh 11:23 satdav: can I keep fellow contributors informed 11:23 satdav: and is their a bug to watch 11:23 KaiRo: satdav: work is going on but there's no pressure as there's no big reason for anyone to want a win64 version (unless they are doing very memory-intense stuff)